As parents, we always strive to do what’s best for our children. We’re constantly looking for ways to better their life and skills for them to learn. Chess is also known as the brain game is an excellent way to give your child the right skills he requires to grow. Now that you know that chess is a brilliant board game to learn and spend time on than playing video games online or watching YouTube videos, the question parents must ask themselves is when do we start teaching our kid chess and what’s the right age for it?
Grand Master Abhijit Kunte who started playing chess at the age of 5, wishes that he had someone who’d introduce the game to him when he was younger perhaps when he was 3 years old. While you’re never too late to start something new it’s always beneficial to start learning something from a young age. In this article, we’re going to elaborate on the various benefits chess has on your mental and physical health –
1. Increases IQ – It’s been observed that those who play chess have a significantly higher IQ level than those who don’t. The reason behind this is chess is a game which requires fluid reasoning, processing speed, concentration and memory. When a child starts playing chess at an early age all of these skills start developed early thus helping to increase their IQ.
2. Improves Spatial Skills –Spatial ability is the capacity to understand, reason, and remember spatial relations among objects or space. In a game of chess players must reason with themselves and justify their move. They must also anticipate their opponent’s future moves and plan accordingly. Spatial skill is an important life skill which is best when developed at an early age which can be achieved easily by playing chess.
3. Helps in the development of the Prefrontal Cortex –The prefrontal cortex is a part of the frontal lobe which is responsible for planning, personality development, and complex behaviors. The prefrontal cortex is fully developed by the age of 25. Chess is a game which requires planning, and reasoning which helps in the faster development of the prefrontal cortex.
4. Exercise to both sides of the brain – It’s said that while playing chess your brain utilizes both parts of the brain as it requires reasoning and imagination, Chess is considered to be the workout of your brain.
5. Faster learning curve – Chess introduces your child to math, problem solving skills, helps in concentration and also improves memory. All of these are strong building blocks for a bright future.
In Conclusion –
For the healthy all-round development of your child, all of these skills are essential which can be developed in one place and is also a fun activity for your child. In today’s world where kids are more invested in playing video games and mindlessly watching videos online, introducing them to a game that allows for them to grow is crucial. Chess is one of the oldest games in the world making it one of the best sport for your child to learn from an early age.
We at Kindersports believe in the power of education and believe that strong chess players need to be nurtured and given the best resources for them to grow up to their truest potential. At our online chessmates program our courses are designed by International chess players and are some of the best teachers in the industry who provide quality education to your child. Begin your child’s chess journey now. For more information – https://kindersports.in/